In the framework of the IONIO project an information and knowledge management system has been developed. It is based on three pillars:
- Knowledge on data and on who collected data and the framework (projects, data sets) within which data were collected could help to better evaluate their use.
- The quality assurance and quality control protocols.
- The access to publications that is supporting knowledge building.
The pillar 1 is based on directories, vocabularies and indices developed mainly in the EC Project SeaDataNet.
The second pillar is based on data acquired with the best use of instrumentation and sensors. Their functioning principles must be know, as well as the accuracy for each parameters. Calibration and control of the electronic during the data acquisition should be part of the best practices. There are important activities underway on the development of standards for describing sensors and measurement processes.
The Knowledge Building (KB) theory was developed for describing what a community of learners needs to accomplish in order to create knowledge. The theory addresses the need to educate people for the knowledge age society, in which knowledge and innovation are pervasive.
In IONIO knowledge building is implemented providing access to publications and a discussion forum.
In the web page dedicated to the IONIO products, there are two new links working:
- Observational data / IONIO In Situ Portal: direct link to the IONIO Insitu data portal providing access to vocabularies, data in delayed mode, protocols, publications in order to allow a comprehensive consultation of data;
- Access to data: direct link to the IONIO Insitu database, providing observational data from buoys and ship of opportunities.
The map on the right frame uses a google map interface, with all ‘Google’ commands facilities.
It is possible to select several parameters, temporal and spatial ranges, the type of data based on instruments, typology such as vertical profiles or time series, cruises.
To visualize the data you have two options:
- View “Number” display only tables with data per month and year and other class;
- View “Summary” show also the data in a Google map.
Moreover, in the left frame it is possible to select, query and view graph, data, metadata for stations.